Reupholstery without fire label

Guest ElspethC

Guest ElspethC

Hi
Would you mind informing me of the fire regulations concerning the reupholstery of domestic (settee and two chairs) furniture. I had them reupholstered in the 1990s and there is no fire labels attached. I am trying to sell the above. Whose responsibility is it to attach fire safe labels when reupholstering domestic furniture, so it can be sold in the future? Thanks

As I understand it, any upholstered furniture, manufactured after 1st January 1950, and re-upholstered is subject to the full regulations and therefore the upholsterer should fix a permanent label to the finished article, but a display label would not be required. Any upholstered furniture manufactured before that date is not subject to the full regulation, but when re-upholstered the upholsterer should indication to the customer it does not comply with the regulations.

You should check this out with http://www.fira.co.uk and you may find http://www.fira.co.uk/document/fira-flammability-guide-october-2011pdf.pdf useful.

When selling second-hand upholstered furniture manufactured before 1st March 1993 it should carry a display label in accordance with schedule 8 of http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1988/1324/contents/made but in your case it should comply with the regulations and this would not be necessary.

http://www.firesafe.org.uk/furniture-and-furnishings-fire-safety-regulations-19881989-and-1993/

• 4 years later...
Guest Guest Clare A

I have got my settee and chair delivered today I have found 2 cards with fire resistant and 2 card circle saying G-PLAN should these b attached to the sofa and chair? 

All filling material and cover fabric used in re-upholstering such furniture must meet the new levels of fire resistance. This means that any upholstery materials which the upholsterer supplies or adds to the furniture in the course of refurbishing it must pass the appropriate test(s). Where, for example, only re-covering is requested by the customer, the re-upholstery is not obliged to replace any non-conforming filling material which the furniture may contain. However, in such circumstances we strongly advise that the re-upholstery should draw the fire risk to the customer's attention. Any filling material which the re-upholstery adds to the existing filling must, of course, meet the new requirements. In ordering upholstery materials the re-upholsterer should seek advice from his supplier about their suitability for use in furniture.

It doesn't say if the re-upholstery has to attach labels only should inform the customer of the fire risk, if he doesn't do a full upholstery job including cover material and filling in accordance with the regulations. So if re-upholstery has only recovered the furniture and not replaced the fillings then these labels could be a form of warning you of the dangers of fire and are not required to be fitted to the furniture but I would keep them in a safe place just in case.    

• 9 months later...
Guest Commercial furniture

I was recently sold by a bespoke furniture manufacturer various upholstered items of furniture such as a reception desk, chairs etc.

I don’t have any certificates or labels of fire safety. What is the legislation regarding this? And does the manufacture/retailer need to provide me with evidence that the fabric is treated with fire retardant. And if so, I’m what format? 
I am concerned that I do not have evidence of compliance, how can I obtain it? 

please note the furniture has been bought by them from eBay and Amazon and reupholstered and refilled. 
thank you 

Guest Commercial furniture
On 22/08/2019 at 10:00, Tom Sutton said:

All filling material and cover fabric used in re-upholstering such furniture must meet the new levels of fire resistance. This means that any upholstery materials which the upholsterer supplies or adds to the furniture in the course of refurbishing it must pass the appropriate test(s). Where, for example, only re-covering is requested by the customer, the re-upholstery is not obliged to replace any non-conforming filling material which the furniture may contain. However, in such circumstances we strongly advise that the re-upholstery should draw the fire risk to the customer's attention. Any filling material which the re-upholstery adds to the existing filling must, of course, meet the new requirements. In ordering upholstery materials the re-upholsterer should seek advice from his supplier about their suitability for use in furniture.

It doesn't say if the re-upholstery has to attach labels only should inform the customer of the fire risk, if he doesn't do a full upholstery job including cover material and filling in accordance with the regulations. So if re-upholstery has only recovered the furniture and not replaced the fillings then these labels could be a form of warning you of the dangers of fire and are not required to be fitted to the furniture but I would keep them in a safe place just in case.    

Thank you, and if the furniture is made from scratch what would you advise? As we have no labels or certificates for those either and no proof of any of the fabrics (velvet, faux leather and sponge filling)  have been treated with fire retardant. This is for a commercial property. I have been told that if our furniture hasn’t been treated with fire retardant we could have our premises closed down by a local fire brigade.