Do you need fire door seals on final exit door?

Guest BarryAve

Guest BarryAve

Can you please advise me if fire door seals should be fitted to a final exit fire door, as logic tells me no, because if the seals swell in heat the door would not open and trap people in a fire.
Also could you please advise me if there is a minimum width of an final escape door.
Regards
Barry

You are right about the door seals on final exit doors, but not for the reason you stated it is because final exit door do not need to be fire resistant. The heat required to operate the seals nobody could exist in the area so they would not be trying to get through the door. The width of the door depends on the number of people who would be required to use it in an emergency. For more information on means of escape got to http://www.firesafe.org.uk/basic-means-of-escape-from-fire/

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...
  • 7 months later...
Guest Red Adair

Quesion please?

Does it matter if final exit doors are not a good fit if they open directly into a place of safety and there are no other considerations?  For example, have a gap at the bottom?

Also, could I have the legal reference please for the requirement for the intumescent/smoke seals  on final exit doors if opening below an escape staircase?

Thanks,

Final exit door do not need to be fire resistant door in most cases, therefore the gaps are not specified. Any final exit doors within certain distances of an external fire escape need to be FD30 fire doors, Check out https://www.firesafe.org.uk/regulatory-reform-fire-safety-order-2005/ depending if it is an office, shop, factory etc look at the appropriate guidance.    

• 2 years later...
Guest External doors

Hi, does an external fire door need intumescent seals, I know the fire exit door doesn’t but this double door leads out onto a communal walk way 

Is there an external stair adjacent?
Is the walkway only allowing escape in one direction so you have to pass the door?

Is the walkway narrow so you have to pass by the door or within a metre of it so there would be no avoiding any smoke/flame/heat?

If the answer to any of these is yes then the external door should be a self closing fire door.