Problems with our addressable emergency lighting system

Guest Stephen Marks

Guest Stephen Marks

Everyone/Anyone - I could really use your advice to resolve a problem with our Easicheck self contained (EC1001) addressable emergency lighting system which has been going on for more than 6 years and no sign of resolution despite concerted effort - clearly I'm missing something significant that perhaps someone can point out to me.

We've moved in to a brand new industrial estate office unit (1800 sq m) 6 years ago. And since then the error codes have been incessant and individual lights come on randomly. Before you ask....yes we replace lights and fittings as soon as they're identified faulty. We have also replace all the batteries this year because (in theory) they have reached the end of their serviceable life. We've had many visits from Coopers (equipment installers) to do the work described and even they are running out of ideas. When they replace the light fittings of units which come on randomly the problem appears to move to a completely different light fitting. Yes the system is set to test weekly, monthly and yearly to meet legislation, but individual random lights are coming on at odd times when not in test. More recently the supplier has replaced the Scael units which apparently control the testing(?), to no avail.

One remarkable feature is that the random lights don't feature on the ground floor, only the first floor.

A different electrical contractor fitted and wired all the lights - but I fail to see how that could cause lights to come on randomly.

The fact is that when I put all the lights on test then they all/most come on - so in a true emergency I do know I'll have light, so safety is not compromised. I dream of the day when I can look at the Control Panel in the foyer and see no fault codes, or weird light activity - it's not for lack of effort or money thrown at it.

Any ideas or similar experiences would be of interest.

Cheers

Stephen Marks

Facilities Mgr in a Technology Company in Devon

I think I would rule out equipment fault because your problem only occurs on the first floor and if it was equipment faults why isn't it happening on the ground floor? I think I would be looking at the installation, check out http://www.coopersafety.nl/files/bestanden/noodverlichting_datasheets/easicheck%202%20planning%20guide%20rev2.pdf

Which says

2.1 Choice of cable type

The cable used to connect Easicheck2 interfaces to the Easicheck2 control panel must be an unscreened 2 core twisted pair cable. The recommended data cable type is Belden type 8471, or alternatively if a LSZH type cable is required, Belcom cables type 4001P1644 (16AWG) can be also used. Other cable types can be used providing they fully meet the following performance requirements:

1) It must be an unscreened 2 core twisted pair cable.

2) It is not acceptable to include additional cores, which are left unconnected or used for other systems or other Easicheck2 panels.

3) The total capacitance of all cable connected to the data loop must not exceed 1µF, this is best verified by calculation, cable manufacturers data should specify the total core to core capacitance per km and this should then be multiplied by the total length of connected cable.

So could the wrong data cable or calculations have been used on the first floor or could there be other possibilities regarding the installation, so in my humble opinion you should be checking out the installation using the above Planning Guide, not necessarily the equipment.

N.B. I am not an electrician just an ex firefighter trying to apply reasoning to the problem. :unsure:

• 3 weeks later...
Guest John Cowley

Since you describe that the lights are switching on by themselves you may have electrical interference on the comms wires to the light units. The system is based on a 'Lon' type network and so the command cables must be away from the mains supply.

Have a look.

Everyone/Anyone - I could really use your advice to resolve a problem with our Easicheck self contained (EC1001) addressable emergency lighting system which has been going on for more than 6 years and no sign of resolution despite concerted effort - clearly I'm missing something significant that perhaps someone can point out to me.

We've moved in to a brand new industrial estate office unit (1800 sq m) 6 years ago. And since then the error codes have been incessant and individual lights come on randomly. Before you ask....yes we replace lights and fittings as soon as they're identified faulty. We have also replace all the batteries this year because (in theory) they have reached the end of their serviceable life. We've had many visits from Coopers (equipment installers) to do the work described and even they are running out of ideas. When they replace the light fittings of units which come on randomly the problem appears to move to a completely different light fitting. Yes the system is set to test weekly, monthly and yearly to meet legislation, but individual random lights are coming on at odd times when not in test. More recently the supplier has replaced the Scael units which apparently control the testing(?), to no avail.

One remarkable feature is that the random lights don't feature on the ground floor, only the first floor.

A different electrical contractor fitted and wired all the lights - but I fail to see how that could cause lights to come on randomly.

The fact is that when I put all the lights on test then they all/most come on - so in a true emergency I do know I'll have light, so safety is not compromised. I dream of the day when I can look at the Control Panel in the foyer and see no fault codes, or weird light activity - it's not for lack of effort or money thrown at it.

Any ideas or similar experiences would be of interest.

Cheers

Stephen Marks

Facilities Mgr in a Technology Company in Devon

I would hazard a guess that the second contractor has not used the correct cable as per the other respondents. At a guess, I would say he will have used standard cable.