How should fire alarm switches be marked?

Guest RichardSm

Guest RichardSm

Hi I'm looking for some advice as I'm struggling to find any information at all regarding this certain subject. My father is currently employed by a well known company and has accidentally caught a fire alarm switch , it was located inbetween two fuel tanks, their is no signs saying it was a fire alarm and it had no cover over the switch and he was not informed about this on the induction he was on , he pressed the switch as the fuel tanks had tripped due to low fuel in them and he believed with it being located between the fuel tanks that it was a reset switch, my question basically is , should this switch be correctly identified and should it be located between two fuel tanks as if their was a fire it would be a big risk to press the fire alarm. Thank you and I look forward to your response

What do you mean by a fire alarm switch, is it a break glass call point because if there was no cover or glass it would have actuated and the system would be in the alarm mode? Does it have other purposes like actuating a fixed fire extinguishing installation?