Fire Beams in Event Venues with Haze

Guest Dolly

Guest Dolly

Hello,

I am currently challenged at work with the fire alarm going off when the haze (like smoke) is released for media production purposes.

We are seriously considering stopping this but it will affect the media production effect during events.

My question is 'do event venues such as the O2 and other major production event venues use fire larm systems such as fire beams'

Please advise.

My question is 'do event venues such as the O2 and other major production event venues use fire larm systems such as fire beams'

I can not speak for any specific venue.

In cases where the fire alarm may be set off regularly by "special effects" it is not uncommon to have a sounder delay. This is done so that the cause can be investigated first. A typical scenario is a night club, where the manual call point is deliberately operated for "amusement"

Instead of all the sounders operating and the dj equipment being silenced etc the area the device that initiated the activation is inspected, if it is found to be false, the corrective procedure is carried out (MCP reset) if there is a genuine cause for evacuation or there is no reply from the person who went to check, the delay expires and the sounders operate.

This can only be done when the fire panel is monitored by a person for the duration of the premises opening hours.

If you can do it or not depends upon the risk assessment and the ability of the fire alarm panel, for which you would have to consult your fire alarm maintenance company.

There is also the vague possibility that your beam devices are misaligned or in need of a good clean. (They work by being able to see a specific beam of light. Just like a window, if it is dirty, you will not be able to see too well through it, hence the suggestion they may be just dirty) But you should get your fire alarm maintenance company to check.