Jump to content

Who pays for smoke brushes underneath the door?

Guest GarryWilk

Recommended Posts

Guest GarryWilk

I wonder if you could help please, has there been any new fire safety legislation recently? I live in a six year old block of 34 leasehold retirement appartments, and throughout this time there has always been wide gaps under the doors to the flats, as fitted by the developer. Only now have these gaps become an issue and smoke brushes are to be fitted. I understand the point of not having gaps under the doors but I would have thought this should have been dealt with by the developer during the time of construction. Because of this alledged new law ( and that the landlord says we are now classed as a Hotel or B&B ) we are being asked to pay a high bill for the work. Surely gaps under doors has been part of the fire safety regulations for quite some time? We feel that the developer shoud be responsible for these costs.

Thanks, on behalf of the residents, I hope you can help.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The first question who pays, well that is up to the leashold agreement you have with your landlord and you need to study it carefully.

The fire safety order hasn't changed recently but a great deal of recommendations do change regularly because, British Standards change. BS 9999 now requires limiting the amount of cold smoke percolating through the threshold gap of a fire door, which in the past wasn't considered. I am assuming the premises have been subject to a new fire risk assessment and the fire risk assessor considers the gap excessive and there need to be cold smoke seals fitted.

Being considered a Hotel or B&B is incorrect and the guidance for your premises is ‘Fire safety risk assessments - sleeping accommodation’

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Tom, your information has been a great help to us. We have now seen these 'Smoke Brushes' to be fitted to our doors, described by the management as 'Proprietary - Denser - Fire Rated Smoke Brushes'. They appear to be nothing more than thin plastic screw on draught excluders, the type than can be purchased from any DIY store for around £3.

Incidently, my original post has been put under the wrong name of 'GarryWilk'.

Thanks again for all your help.


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...