House without fire escape!

Guest Joboo

Guest Joboo

Hi, I dont know if i have found the right place to ask. I currently rent a property that has no rear windows or rear exit door, i am alittle concerned this is not safe if there was a fire, is it legal to build a house with no rear exit or rear windows.

Thanks for your help

It all depends on the height and layout of you premises you would need to provide much more information to be able to give a considered response.

You can checkout http://www.planningp...ocbvol1/volume1 and download the Approved document B Fire Safety Volume 1 the answer can be found under means of escape.

True it applies to new or altered buildings but yours must have been new at some time. If it was before Building Regs the local bye-laws applied before that builder must have had a free reign. However if you apply modern recommendations this most probably the best guidance.

• 3 months later...

Even if this house is legal I would suggest that you think through your escape from it in the event of a fire. You may need to have a portable fire escape ladder to enable you to exit an upstairs window should the front door or stairs be blocked by a fire. It is important to remember that in the event of a fire most people panic, if you have not thought of how you are going to get out beforehand your panic may get the better of you.

I would also suggest that you make sure the house has adequate smoke alarms and extinguishers installed. If you are not sure what you need or how you should best exit your house in the event of a fire, you can ask your local fire brigade to give you some advice. They will make a free home visit usually.

In relation to housing there are other guides fire risk assessors use.

The Lacors guide "Housing – Fire Safety: Guidance on fire safety provisions for certain types of existing housing" http://www.cieh.org/...guidance_08.pdf and,

"FIRE SAFETY IN PURPOSE-BUILT BLOCKS OF FLATS" http://www.local.gov...CATION-TEMPLATE both worth a peruse.

• 11 years later...

Im renting a gr 2 1700 cottage, and i do not have any fire escape should i not be able to use the stairs. 

The windows are slide across and when only one is opened the gap is only about 12"-14" and my son at 18 was able to twist to gain access but now at 33, his shoulders wont go through. 

Can it classed as a bedroom? 

Most traditional layout dwellings don't require fire escapes as the stair is your escape and you are trusted to shut your doors at night. In recent decades bedrooms have had escape by a requirement for escape windows giving a clear unobstructed opening area of 0.33 m² and a minimum width or height of 450mm.

This requirement, being part of Building Regulations, is not retrospective for single dwellings unless relevant alterations subject to Building Regulations occur (such as having new windows fitted - most pre 1990 build houses now have escape windows as they have had original wooden or metal single glazed windows replaced by uPVC double glazing since 1990)

As a G2 listing the windows may not have been replaced or subject to limitations on replacement. A mitigation may have been a more comprehensive smoke/heat alarm  system - do you have the legal minimum detector to each landing or to the kitchen and lounge as well?