Smoke alarm problem

Guest MJ

My smoke alarm is beeping, meaning the batteries need changing (I think), but I cant open it! I need to change the batteries tonight, because I can't sleep with it beeping every minute or so. There is a place for a key slot, but I dont have a key! Where can I get that? Thanks

There are many different smoke alarms you need to start by giving the details of yours before anybody could advise you. You could go to your local fire station or ring them and I am sure they would help you.

Check out http://www.firesafe.org.uk/uk-fire-rescue-services-details/

I don't like to disagree with Tom, but a fire station is the last place you should call in regard to a smoke detector beeping, the fire service may / do install detectors, but they are by no means an "authority" on how to change a battery in one.

I do however agree that the make and model needs to be known before the correct advice can be given, in aid to that Safelincs do have a youtube channel showing how to change some batteries, perhaps one is what MJ has? The Safelincs youtube channel can be found if you CLICK HERE

Green-foam firefighters are required to conduct community fire safety which means carrying out fire risk assessments, installing and maintaining domestic smoke detectors in the home. I know their training will be intensive and changing a battery is not what I would call mind blowing so I would consider using the fire station as a good move.

Sorry to disagree, but round here they only install a detector IF you fit into the correct category, they do not "maintain" them.

Taken from our Fire Brigades website

Smoke Alarms can be purchased from as little as £5 per alarm from a range of stores across Your county

If you live in Your county and are unable to safely fit your own smoke alarms or believe that you are in one of the risk categories shown below we will supply and fit smoke alarms for you absolutely FREE.

Our uniformed officers will visit you at home by appointment and deliver a FREE home safety package, specially tailored to your needs. This includes giving you expert advice and, as an extra bonus, we'll supply and fit FREE smoke alarms where necessary.

I appreciate that you never said that they (The fire Brigade) will maintain them, (They even state that to have one fitted is a bonus) but my point is they only fit them and probably just the one brand. As you yourself mentioned, there are a whole variety of smoke alarms out there, I would not expect the FB to know them all. I once asked a fireman do you know the water pressure of your hose, he had no idea, and went on to point out that he has no need to, he also said he could tell me about a lot of things, but as for specific detail of any one item, they do not need to know. I have also known firemen to see that the LED on an emergency light is on and then say "That light is ok because the charge light is on" When the supply was removed for said light the light illuminates for less than a minute. Firemen are good for rescuing and extinguishing fires, because that's what they train for.

I have been retired some years and I am aware of the savage cuts to the FRS but if that is the present situation its a sad state of affairs and at a time when operation response has been reduced then domestic fire safety is more important. I only hope my FRS has not fallen to those levels.

All I can say a firefighters role is far more than rescuing and extinguishing fires and if the training has fallen to those levels the senior management in your FRS needs to rectify the situation.