Is it Ok to burn a Sofa?

Guest Guest101

Guest Guest101

having a bonfire, and somebody gave me a sofa to burn.. its cotton i think (could be polyester)

and i want to know if it will be safe to burn it

like does it give off harmfull fumes, is it illegal?

• 2 weeks later...

Check out http://safe4autumn.com/bonfire-safety.aspx . As you can see by the advice you need to check out the construction, if it is not foam filled it may be difficult to ignite but once alight will burn. As for the fumes it will not be the only one giving off harmful fumes and under normal circumstances it will not be illegal.

I don't like to disagree with Tom but in quite a few places around the country it IS ILLEGAL to have a bonfire, as the area you live may be a "smokeless zone" Even though it is November the 5th its still illegal, but there are so many fires today they give up, but you may want to bear it in mind for future reference.

HI, Tom, guess I will have to move to Tewksbury then.

"Quotes from our council website"

What legal action can be taken?

We have legal powers to stop a smoke nuisance caused by a bonfire. If a person causes a smoke nuisance, we will serve a notice. A person who ignores the notice commits a criminal offence which can result in a fine of up to £5000."

Can I have a bonfire after 7pm?

Some people believe the law allows them to have a bonfire after 7pm. This is not the case as causing a smoke nuisance at any time is against the law.

Can I use a garden incinerator?

Burning waste materials in a garden incinerator can also cause a smoke nuisance, so we are asking residents not to use them.