Compliance Question Regarding Perko R2 Door Closer for Residential Fire Doors

Hello Safelincs Forum Community,

I recently had a single Perko R2 door closer installed on the fire door of my residence. I was informed by the installer that this setup is compliant with UK fire safety regulations. However, to ensure I am fully up to date and compliant, I'd like to seek advice from the experts here.

1. Does a single Perko R2 door closer meet the necessary compliance standards for residential fire doors in the UK?
  2. Are there specific installation guidelines or certifications for the Perko R2 that I should be aware of to ensure optimal performance and safety?

Thank you for your assistance, and I look forward to your expert guidance!

Best regards,

Screen Shot 2024-04-25 at 12.26.25.png

Depends where the door is located. A) Is the door inside the flat/house?   B) Is it a flat entrance door?   C) Is it a door from inside the house to an integral garage?

Refer to Code of Practice: Hardware for Fire & Escape Doors section 3 'door closing devices'.   http://firecode.org.uk/Code_of_Practice_hardware_for_fire_and_escape_doors.pdf

If it's B or C it should be a 'controlled' self-closing device.

Edited by Neil Ashdown MAFDI
To add more info

Single chain perkos have been frowned upon by the Ironmongery Industry since the early 90's and not considered acceptable by them since the mid 2000's, but some government guidance still accepts them even though they don't meet current standards for a self closer - most only site standards related to fire resistance not performance as a closer.

On 29/04/2024 at 13:59, Neil Ashdown MAFDI said:

Depends where the door is located. A) Is the door inside the flat/house?   B) Is it a flat entrance door?   C) Is it a door from inside the house to an integral garage?

Refer to Code of Practice: Hardware for Fire & Escape Doors section 3 'door closing devices'.   http://firecode.org.uk/Code_of_Practice_hardware_for_fire_and_escape_doors.pdf

If it's B or C it should be a 'controlled' self-closing device.

Sorry for the delay in responding. The door in question is B) a flat entrance door. Thank you for directing me to the Code of Practice: Hardware for Fire & Escape Doors. I will review Section 3 on 'door closing devices' to ensure compliance with the required standards for a 'controlled' self-closing device.

Thank you for the information!