Evacuation Strategies

Guest Paul

Hi 

When deciding on simultaneous or stay put strategies in blocks of flats risk assessors seem to decide based on whether the building was built to current building regulations. What year would a conversion be acceptable as being built under current building regulations, and so suitable for stay put? 

I don’t know anything about flats, all of my work is in the hospitality industry but one thing I do know is that just because there is a certificate of completion issued by BC, does not guarantee the building is fire safe. One venue constructed after the introduction of the Building Regulations (NI) 2012, has a plethora of relatively serious issues relating to fire spread, mostly hidden away above suspended ceilings. I couldn’t be sure when these issues arose but to base any kind of determination on fire safety strategy solely on when the building was erected would seem imprudent.

On 04/11/2023 at 11:43, Guest Paul said:

Hi 

When deciding on simultaneous or stay put strategies in blocks of flats risk assessors seem to decide based on whether the building was built to current building regulations. What year would a conversion be acceptable as being built under current building regulations, and so suitable for stay put? 

Flats from 1961 were built to Building Regulations that were based around stay put. Conversions are usually expected to conform to modern Building Regulations i.e. from 1/1/1992 - but the date of conversion is not a hard rule as there are post 1992 conversions requiring simultaneous evacuation and pre 1992 ones that  can actually operate stay put. A good assessor won't be blinded by the date, it's a pointer and no more.