Annual Fire Extinguisher Inspection

Dear A.M

The British Standard BS5306-3 requires yearly inspection. If you are a business, your own fire risk assessment will usually refer to this standard and your business insurance will usually require this standard.

The five year warranty just means that if the unit is faulty within the 5 years, we will replace the unit or repair it for free.

Kind regards Garry

• 5 years later...

Green-foam, I agree, but I am just quoting the BS, but common sense says why! If you haven't damaged the tamper tag why replace it? I think the problem is, they are trying to deal with different types of extinguisher with the same clauses and I believe you need to apply common sense at times.

I stand corrected Shawn as you say, remove the safety device (pin) to ensure that it moves freely and check that the handle also has free movement is in accordance with the BS but why would you need to replace the pin, can it become damaged when you try to remove it?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest SuzanneJ

hi, I wonder if you can advise who is correct, I am querying my head offices view on the testing of fire extinguishers, I think the MUST be done every twelve months, but my HO say that they can be serviced upto 6months after the 12 months is up, meaning it can be upto 18 months before its serviced, - stating this is in line with legislation
Can you confirm what is correct?

Thank you for your help

As far as I am aware and according to BS 5306 part 3 2009 you are required to service all extinguisher (basic service) every twelve months (+/- one month) from the date of commissioning or last service. The extended service is slightly different, for all extinguishers except CO2, it is five years from the date of commissioning or 6 years from the date of manufacture which ever the sooner and then every five years. For the full information you should read BS 5306 part 3 2009 and if they have used other guidance you should ask what guidance.