Direction of Fire Door

Stu_B

Hi,

I have an external Fire Door that is not in regular use that opens inwards, now we have been told that the door needs to open the other way which would open onto a footpath, could somebody please tell me what the rules are concerning this please.

Thanks

Stu_B

Mike is correct as this is the arbitrary approach usually employed. However, like all arbitrary limits, one must be careful in implementing it. Ideally the door should swing in the direction of travel, so why is it not? Could it be easily attended to such that the risk is ALARP? I don’t think it should be dismissed without specific risk assessment. 
I had one small public house where the only exit opened in, when the bar was packed on a weekend, it was almost impossible to get out! Whilst the risk from fire would be low, my view was that the MOE was inadequate. It was a simple job for a carpenter and now the situation is much improved.

Well, in the professional world I inhabit, that being the hospitality sector, for some eager beavers the number 60 was carted down the mountain by Moses. For others, a more flexible approach might be in order depending on circumstances. However, the feathers can fly when the flexible meets the pedantic!

From Building Regulations
Direction of opening

5.11 The door of any doorway or exit should be hung to open in the direction of escape whenever reasonably practicable. It should always be hung to open in the direction of escape if either of the following conditions applies.

a. More than 60 people might be expected to use it during a fire.

b. There is a very high risk of fire with potential for rapid fire growth, such as with some industrial activities.

• 4 weeks later...