Replacement of Deta 1111

Guest Gary

Guest Gary

I have a DETA 1111 smoke alarm which seems out of order. Since the product is discontinued and I would like to know which replacement alarm is suitable and requires the less effort for the installation. Thanks in advance!

I would suggest that if you have more than one Deta 1111 smoke alarm that whilst replacing the problematic unit, it would be a good idea to change any others too, as they too are obsolete.

Also a point to note, the suggested replacement can be interlinked, the Deta 1111 does NOT have an interlink terminal.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Guest Gareth
On 20/11/2023 at 09:46, Rahel Lock said:

Hi Andy 

the Kidde Firex KF does not fit the same baseplate. Unfortunately we don't have a replacement which fits onto the existing Deta 1111 baseplate.

Thanks

Rahel

@Rahel Lock I'm also looking to replace 3 DETA 1111 smoke alarms and I've come across your post. I'm hoping you can help here. When searching safelincs it says "The 670MBX is the ideal replacement for the 1111 alarm as it has been designed and tested to fit onto your existing alarm bases so you don’t even need an electrician."  (https://www.safelincs.co.uk/deta-1111-replacement-smoke-alarm). Now that the 670MBX is also discontinued safelincs say "The SBBRKSM easichange® kit replaces the discontinued BRK 660MBX optical and 670MBX ionisation smoke alarms and fits onto your existing BRK twist-fit alarm baseplate so there's no need for any DIY or an electrician" (https://www.safelincs.co.uk/easichange-660mbx-670mbx-replacement-kit-sbbrksm).

So, my logic says, if the 670 baseplate fitted the 1111 and the easichange fits the 670, then surely the easichange fits the 1111? 

Am I right here or is that not the case? I don't want to buy 3 alarms only to find they don't fit my existing baseplate, as I'd rather buy 3 totally different ones if I'm having to change the base too.

Any support/comment from the community would be great, I'm 2 days without working smoke alarms now and don't want to wait too much longer.

Good morning Gareth

thank you very much for your question. The easichange SBBRKSM alarm is a new unit we developed specifically so it can be used on the 660MBX and 670MBX baseplates. 

Like you say logically they should also fit your DETA1111 alarms but we have not tested this and therefore cannot guarantee it will work. 

thanks
Rahel

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Jo T

Hi @Rahel Lock, sorry to join the queue – have you had any feedback about the SBBRKSM fitting the DETA1111 base? I guess a lot of people are noticing these have gone past their 10 year replacement date around now.

I'm keen to order it and see, but I noticed a review from G W on the product page, and wonder if it was Gareth above finding it doesn't fit... "The product was fine although it turned out that it didn't quite solve my problem although that was no fault of the product, more a fault of my existing base unit. Safelincs e-mail support service was very responsive and helpful."

Hi Jo

we haven't had any feedback from customers yet using the SBBRKSM on the old DETA1111 bases. Sadly, for us there is no way of testing this. The new units were designed to fit on the BRK baseplates but the older units had different wiring and may not be compatible.

thanks
Rahel

I would say it would be easier to change the whole of each smoke alarm as opposed to trying to fit an adaptor that may or may not work/fit. I would suggest Aico as they have a solid base, no need for connector blocks and they have good customer service. Oh and they are inter-linkable

Guest GuyThomas

I tested the SBBRKSM on an existing DETA 1111 fitting.  It worked!  Green light (Mains) and Red light (Battery).

Point 1) The cube hanging from the ceiling, the one with the 3 electrical wires, fits with the SBBRKSM's three metal prongs and plastic holder.
Point 2) The SBBRKSM's round plastic fitment fits exactly into the old DETA 1111's plastic fitting in the ceiling.  So cannot see a problem.

In answer to this post:

The easichange SBBRKSM alarm is a new unit we developed specifically so it can be used on the 660MBX and 670MBX baseplates. 

Like you say logically they should also fit your DETA1111 alarms but we have not tested this and therefore cannot guarantee it will work.