travel distance

maria

Hi, All

I need to measure the travel distance in the hotel from the room to the nearest available final exit. the distance from the corner of the room is 10 meters then the distance from the door room to the nearest available final exit is 18 meters How do I measure it ? do I include or exclude the distance in the bedroom

Thank you in advance 

The distance should be measured from all parts of the premises to the nearest place of reasonable safety which is:
• a protected stairway enclosure (storey exit);
• a separate fire compartment from which there is a final exit to a place of total safety; or
• the nearest available final exit.

Check Figure 32 in the sleeping risk guide - with a bedroom on a single direction corridor the total TD should not exceed 18m to the storey or final exit of which only 9m can be travel inside the room

As Anthony indicates, that would also be my understanding. However, I was on a recent hotel project where the strategy was based on 9999 and the BC officer accepted just short of 18m in the protected corridor with a further 10 in the bedroom measured from the ensuite to the bedroom door. I do not believe the officer has interpreted TD from 9999 correctly. As I see it, the distance can only be measured from the threshold of the bedroom door when alternative routes to a storey exit are available.

To measure the travel distance from the room to the nearest available final exit in a hotel, you can follow these steps:

Measure the distance from the corner of the room to the door. In your case, the distance is 10 meters.

Measure the distance from the door to the nearest available final exit. In your case, the distance is 18 meters.

Add the two distances together to get the total travel distance. In your case, the total travel distance would be 28 meters.

When measuring the distance from the door to the nearest available final exit, you should only measure the distance within the common areas of the hotel, such as hallways or stairways, and exclude any distance that is within the bedroom or private areas. This is because the travel distance requirement is meant to ensure that occupants can safely evacuate in case of an emergency, and private areas should not be considered part of the means of egress.