Windows used as fire escapes on ground floor.

Guest Nigel

I have a client and the local building control want two windows as Fire escape windows on a ground floor premises.

Maximum travel distance is under seven metres. with a fire door in between. So to a place of relative safety is 4m with 7m total to final exit. Is there a need for this? I don't see it but he's the bain of my life stating that because they are 'inner rooms' that they need it. They are just rooms that lead off a corridor 3m long. Its used as a clinic with a maximum 4 people on site at any one time. I seem to remember that windows cannot be used as escape routes. Perhaps I'm wrong?

As it seems to be a building other than a dwelling then the window escape is not an option and it seems the wrong version of Approved Document B is being applied. It reads like a dead end corridor with rooms off for which travel distances are OK based on your info and the only other thing you need is one of the two below solutions:

dead end AFD.jpg

dead end FR.jpg