How to secure fire exit door?

Guest HilaryArm

Guest HilaryArm

Afternoon,

I am chair of the local scout group and over the weekend had a break in via the external fire doors. I wanted to ask could the fire doors have slip bolts attached top and bottom and used when the building is empty or are we to leave fire doors with no additional bolts attached.

Many Thanks

Hilary

Hi Hilary

Fire exits can be bolted down when the buidling is not is use, as long as the bolts are removed reliably when the building is opened up. However, I would doubt that all keyholders in a scout group will remember to carry out this first step and you could put lives at risk if these bolts would remain shut. Have you considered proper push bars for your exits which include shot bolts?

Harry

In cinemas and theatres all the doors with push bars was secured with padlocks and chains when the premises was close for the night. To ensure the chains had been removed the next day there was a board called a chain board in the manager’s office and each chain had a hook so it was easy to check if all the chains had been removed first thing next day. If the keepers on the barrel bolts are removed this would allow the bolt to be withdrawn and you could use a board similar to a chain board for the bolts.