Regulations re fire extinguishers as door wedges

Guest SusanHar

Guest SusanHar

Can you confirm if it is illegal/what the regulations are concerining using fire extinguishers as door wedges.

Currently a door leading into the ladies toilets is propped open like this, and is a pet hate of mine!

Thanks

I am with you on this one but it depends on the door that is being propped open if it is a fire door, which is unlikely on this occasion, then it could be an offence under the Fire Safety Order but if it is any other door then it is very unlikely to be an offence.

• 1 year later...
Guest JohnCoy

hello, I work in an operating department within the nhs.our internal fire doors throughout the department have all been wedged open for several months now.this is because there has been a problem with them staying open with the magnetic door release connected to the fire alarm.we have been waiting months for the manufactures to come and fix this issue.
as a health and safety rep within my department i am concerned about this.apparently the local fire officer has said its ok to wedge them open!!!!
can you advice

kind regards
john

Hi John

Wedged fire doors are definitely not permitted. You can install battery operated fire door retainers that will keep the fire door open and release the doors when a fire alarm sounds.

Ultimately, it would of course make best sense for the manufacturer to repair the system, though.

Harry

It should not take several months to have a fault on magnetic fire door holders rectified and if it does, an alternative should be provide, similar to what Harry has suggested.
A fire safety professional should never recommend fire doors to be wedged open irrespective of type of premises but like all rules there are exceptions and I would accept it is OK to wedge a fire door temporarily, for instance when moving a trolley through the door, provided there was someone there on hand to close the door when no longer necessary.
I would suggest you submit a written report to your line manager and keep a copy for future reference.

• 8 years later...
On 12/04/2012 at 10:21, Tom Sutton said:

I am with you on this one but it depends on the door that is being propped open if it is a fire door, which is unlikely on this occasion, then it could be an offence under the Fire Safety Order but if it is any other door then it is very unlikely to be an offence.

Regardless of the door, misusing the extinguisher is also an offence......