Jump to content

Fire Risk Assessment

Guest Nigel

Recommended Posts

Guest Nigel

Hello there. We're have share of the freehold for a Victorian conversion, which is two flats (one ground floor and another a two floor maisonette). The only communal area is a 4x7ft hallway which houses doors to our flat and the staircase which leads up to the maisonette. 

We're looking to sell our flat and have been informed we'll need a fire risk assessment for this area. Given it's so small and looking online we felt we'd probably be able to do the assessment ourselves, but just wanted to clarify a couple of things. Would all doors in this area need to be fire doors? If a door doesn't have a specific marking, is there any way to tell that a door is in fact a fire door? 

Would imagine we'd need a smoke alarm for this area, but other than that would there be any other reasonable requirement? There's no real risk of fire, so would imagine an extinguisher given the small amount of space would be excessive. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Your answers are in this guide:

Particularly of use will be Section 37. Buildings converted into self-contained flats on page 46.

If you can prove that the conversion was after 1991 and had full Building Regulations Approval as meeting the requirements of Approved Document B then different guidance would apply.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...