Improvements and action planning timescales

Guest Sarah P

Guest Sarah P

Hello,

I own a share of the freehold and live in one of three owner occupied flats in a converted Victorian building.  We don't have a management company and arrange any maintenance etc amongst ourselves.  I'm currently selling and my buyer's solicitor requested a fire risk assessment and asbestos check of the shared common areas, which was conducted last week. 

The level of tolerance towards hazards from fire was found to be low and consequences for life safety in the event of fire levelled at slight harm.  The report detailed a number of requirements ranging from smoke detector testing and recording in a fire log book to the installation of emergency lighting, with time scales from two to four weeks.  The buyer's solicitor has asked for confirmation that these will all be actioned before we complete and I wondered where I stand with regards to pushing back on this.  Myself and the other two flats are all in agreement that we need to implement the actions but aren't sure we can sort the emergency lighting within the recommended four weeks.  Given the low tolerance and harm ratings are we in a position to say we accept the recommendations but will implement over a greater time time scale?

Any advice you can provide would be much appreciated.

Thank  you