Storerooms

Andy62

looking at ABD only storerooms in residential care premises require enclosing in fire resisting materials; however, the times I see storerooms in schools, offices etc. (that do not contain a special fire hazard) that have fire door sets, signage and even S/Cs. Is everybody of the opinion that in general, storerooms are not required to be enclosed in FR? Apart from sleeping accommodation & resi care, there is no mention of storerooms being enclosed in the GLG guides or other recognised guidance that can be applied to schools - even BB100. Your thoughts will be appreciated, thanks AB.

Just because it isn't a requirement of guidance doesn't mean it's not a good idea (it could be a non statutory provision for property/asset protection), however you are right, unless opening onto a protected route, dead end or enclosing an area of special fire risk or some other specified area (gym storerooms in schools being one) it generally isn't a requirement, but often gets provided.

At the end of the day it's the risk assessment and whether you are sticking to life or life and property that determines the approach. If I found a store room with a propped door or disconnected closer that wasn't in a location where for life safety it would be expected to be a fire door I might mention in passing that even where not required to be a fire door it is still good sense to try and keep it shut to prevent loss, but wouldn't flag it as a breach.