Upcycled furniture and fire safety

Guest Sarah H

Guest Sarah H

Hi,

Sorry if I seem like I am being silly but I am struggling to find the answers to my questions on the internet.  I am looking into starting to upcycle furniture and sell it.  This would include some re-upholstery and adding upholstery to pieces that currently doesn't have any.   What happens in term of fire safety? I have read that I would be liable to make sure my furniture is safe, passes all fire safety tests and has the correct labels.  But who does these tests and who provides the labels?  I can obviously make sure that I am buying fire safe fabric but how do I prove this?  Surely I don't just do my own tests and make my own label and stick it on?!

Also if I do not know who the original manufacturer is, which most of the time with upcycled pieces you won't, how can i guarantee that it is safe, separately to the fabric?

Loads of people are doing it so there must be simple answers but I want to make sure I am doing everything correctly to cover myself.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Selling second hand furniture and re-upholstering furniture you will be subject to the regulations. The permanent labels should already be fitted and you need to provide display labels. Any materials you buy should comply with the regulations and you should obtain documented proof of there fire resistance in case you have to prove it to the trading standards.

Check out Fire safety of furniture and furnishings in the home A Guide to the UK Regulations