DETA 1151 smoke alarm, interconnected. Beeping and light confusion!

Guest Nick

Guest Nick

Hi all, 

Firstly I have since contacted Safelincs and have a replacement unit on the way- thank you so much to the assistance on the phone, it was excellent.

I do have a follow up question about our alarms to help me understand what the issue might have been..?

Last night our upstairs DETA 1151 IONISATION (manufacture date Nov 2015- house is a new build complete August 2016) smoke alarm went off for the first time, but only the 3 test beeps. This occured intermittently for the following 4 hours, starting at 1am ish. In a household with two under 5s this was worrying of course. There had been no classic chirping regarding low 9v battery at all etc, just these 3 beeps for this period, intermittently. At 5 am I turned off the mains and disconnected the offending unit until I could source a 9v battery this morning. I was assuming low battery was the issue at this point. 

Upon replacing the batteries in both units this morning the mains green light on both units was on, as it had been before and during the incident- and a quick test confirmed all was well. After about 10 minutes, the problem alarm (one of only two interlinked) recommenced it's '3 chirps' and now the Red LED remained constantly on. The green LED was now off, suggesting somehow I now had no mains to the unit when I had 15 mins before. RCD breaker checked and all other domestic circuits seem normal.

The Safelincs assistant recommend the easichange replacement for my model which I have ordered, but can anyone shed any light on what the issue may be? Any help appreciated! Eagerly awaiting the new unit.. 

• 7 months later...

Just had the same problem with downstairs unit. I had another one upstairs so I took it out and brought it downstairs and this one did not make any noise so the fault seems to be with the alarm unit itself and not the mains or battery

• 3 months later...
Guest Guest Doreen

I have the same issue. We've purchased equivalent replacements (Deta 1151 discontinued) from safelincs but still have the same problem, does this mean we have a wiring issue and need to call an electrician ?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest Hp reading

Similar issue, was installed in a new build 2016. The unit only goes off when it is connected to the mains. If I disconnect it from the main with battery installed it stays quite. Now that I want to order a replacement it says the item has been discontinued and cannot be sourced from anywhere. What a bummer looks like I will have to order a brand new Alarm and rewired the whole house ?

Guest Hp reading
On 09/04/2021 at 17:53, Guest Guest Doreen said:

I have the same issue. We've purchased equivalent replacements (Deta 1151 discontinued) from safelincs but still have the same problem, does this mean we have a wiring issue and need to call an electrician ?

Where did you order the replacement from?

On 07/06/2021 at 18:36, Guest Hp reading said:

Where did you order the replacement from?

Hi, "Doreen" has only made the one post so you are unlikely to get a reply from her, but if you read her post again, it does answer your question

On 09/04/2021 at 17:53, Guest Guest Doreen said:

That said, even the replacement is now obsolete.

You will have to buy a different brand of smoke detector, the downside to this is that as yet no two different brands of smoke detector will work with each other, so that means you will have to change all of them at the same time. Looking on the bright side all non radio interlinked smoke alarms use a 3 core and earth cable, this means no rewiring to do, but you will need to change each smoke alarms plug.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Red light on

Am having the same problem as Guest Red Smoke since the power outage.  Have replaced the battery but the solid red light stays on...it is 5 yrs old from a new build too.  Tried the pressing down test button for 30s but no luck.