Fire stopping & compartmentalisation for dry riser

Guest James Mctoldridge

Guest James Mctoldridge

Hi,

I am just looking for some advice regarding fire stopping and maintaining compartmentalisation in a dry riser for a 4 storey block of flats built in 2017.

From visual inspection using my torch it seems as tho I can see from the 3rd floor in the riser space  to the ground floor at the bottom of the riser duct  , should the riser be compartmentalised continuing the floor across in some form of fire resisting material therefore compartmentalising every floor in the riser. If this was done I wouldn't be able to see from the bottom to the top of the riser.

This may be a stupid question , but I didn't want to just assume that the building was constructed correctly as we have all seen such poor work and specification in the past it seems reasonably prudent to question and be cynical sometimes.

Kind regards 

As long as it is a protective shaft it should be fine - i.e. all horizontal penetrations suitably fire stopped. With dry riser shafts I sometimes find that whilst the original landing valves are stopped correctly, where a landing valve has had to be replaced there is a large hole around the new valve.

• 3 years later...

Hi, would I be correct in saying that a dry riser needs to be fire stopped on each floor level or is one continuous protected shaft through all of the floors ok.