Mr

Guest FD Chippy

Guest FD Chippy

Hi

I purchased and fitted a fd60 door and frame today. The top and bottom of the door had no hardwood lippings and the chipboard core was visible. 

Is this ok, I thought it should have 10mm hardwood strips top and bottom. The frame was double grooved  .for intumisent s

If the door itself was to be grooved would grooving through the chipboard be ok ?

Would appreciate your comments 

What documentation did you get when you purchased the fire door, because I am not aware of any fire door that doesn't have top and threshold lippings. They are needed to be able to shave the the top and bottom, to ensure the required gaps between the door leaf/frame/floor are achieved without damaging the fire resisting core.

Hi

Thank you for your reply. 

There were fire door stickers on the top of the door,  but not stuck very well to the raw chipboard core. The door was 54mm thick with a vision panel.   The door was fitted in a new built warehouse,  between the warehouse and the dispatch area.

I was concerned about the swelling of the chipboard from dampness at the bottom and the top.

The door was purchased from a large reputable supplier. I have photos of the stickers on the door, thought it might be embarrassing for the company involved to post them.

Many thanks

Edited by James Gormley
Additional infomation

What you call the raw chipboard core is a fire resistant core and when they are purchased they come with a global assessment that gives instructions how to build the fire door. If they are not followed the fire door will not meet the required standard and the enclose certificate will not be considered valid.

Check out https://www.egger.com/shop/en_GB/interior/product-detail/FIREDOORCORES