Fire Alarm Zoning requirements

Guest Jamie

Hi all,

I was after a bit of advice. I live in a block of flats (4-storey). We have an alarm system which is linked to smoke detection in the communal area and a heat detector with sounder base in each flat. My problem is the panel is a one zone panel and there are no sounders in the communal areas. A friend of mind who notice the panel recently said that one zone is required per floor and we would have to get a new fire alarm system installed. Would this be a requirement or a recommendation. 

Many thanks- J.

Recommendation technically. It would achieve the aim of getting everyone out but would make it difficult to correctly identify the area in alarm.

It must be old to have a one zone panel, you could save on re-cabling by changing the devices and panel to addressable and program the zones, but there is no other short cut on conventional systems as if you changed the conventional panel to one with multiple zones whilst you could keep the devices you would have to change all the cabling to split into zones.