Acetone soaked rags

Moorings2015

Hi,

Just wanted a second opinion.

Scenario. Acetone is applied to a rag via a dispenser and used to clean utensils. The rags are then disposed of into a metal waste bin which has a fusible link which closes the bin lid in the event of fire.

Bins are emptied at the end of every shift, however lids are left open during operational hours.

My thoughts are that a waste bin with a sealed lid would be a better solution - e.g. foot pedal to open the lid which automatically closes. Current practise doesn't control flammable vapour from entering the atmosphere where there are light fittings, 240v sockets etc. 

Justification for the fusible link waste bins were that when the bins are sealed, operators in the area feel the build up of fumes was uncomfortable when lids were opened.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Hi Tom,

thanks for the reply, I'm potentially looking at a occupational hygienist to carry out sampling as from looking at the MSDS there is also a health concern regarding current practises. Sampling should tell us whether its safe to have bin lids open or if when they are closed the concentration of vapour brings the area within the explosive range. 

My gut instinct tells me that by having bin lids shut it reduces both fire/explosion and health impacts.

thanks.