Fire Rated, markings on door closers

Guest MrSimonSwim

Guest MrSimonSwim

I want to introduce door closers as I start to prepare for modifying my house for rental purposes. I looked around and saw soft close with adjustable speed facilities. Since ultimately I will need 9 I was looking for a keen price. Of course eBay has rafts of them, very inexpensive compared to Wickes/Screwfit/etc., so I purchased a couple to have a look and think well at least I can use them on the bathroom doors if nothing else. So they arrived, I see no marking on them to confirm BS/EN testing or approval or any such marking to give me confidence it is a proper piece of equipment which will pass a fire inspection in the future. I am disputing with the vendor the validity of their claim these are fire rated. Am I right to do so, should something fire rated be marked on the item itself, even if by a sticker (which I am sure inscrutable folks would happily counterfeit).

They must be as a minimum CE marked and noted as compliant with BS EN 1154 with a 6 digit classification number for the product, the important one being the 4th digit which needs to be a 1 to indicate it's fire tested.

eBay is full of counterfeit, illegal, defective and non conforming Far East imports that are usually are priced too good to be true (fire blankets being another example) and claim all sorts of compliance, but I wouldn't trust most of them.