Fire door in Utility

Guest Louise Jackson

Guest Louise Jackson

Hi - I'd love some advice on fire door requirements following some house 'remodelling' work which has just started.  I have attached the new plan which I hope is visible and clear!  Our house is three storeys - including a converted loft.

Three queries:

1. the door between the utility room and hall corridor - does this need to be a fire door?  There will be a door to the garden from the other side of the utility

2.the double doors at the bottom of the stairs - these need to be fire doors.  Can they be glazed?

3. do bathroom and shower room doors on the first floor need to be fire doors?

Thanks so much!

Screenshot 2019-09-05 at 13.20.08.png

Is this a single domestic dwelling because will dictate the guidance to used and a architectural drawing or a single line drawing would be much better, also showing the whole of the floor area.The plans you submitted to building control would be ideal.

Being a private domestic premises you are not subject to The Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 but are to the Building Regulations and I would suggest you use Approved Document B (Fire Safety) Vol 1 as a guide. It is usual accepted that any escape doors catering for less that sixty persons can open inwards so double hall doors will not have to open the direction of exit.

To your three questions,

1. the door between the utility room and hall corridor - does this need to be a fire door?  There will be a door to the garden from the other side of the utility.

No , as the utility room  does not need to be a fire resistance construction and there is an alternate means of escape, providing you can get from the garden to the public thoroughfare.

2.the double doors at the bottom of the stairs - these need to be fire doors.  Can they be glazed?

Yes providing they meet a full 30 minutes fire resistance as these doors require to be FD30 fire doors also the cupboard under the stairs need the meet a full 30 minutes fire resistance.  

3. do bathroom and shower room doors on the first floor need to be fire doors?

No, providing there are no sources of ignition in either. 

Has your plans been passed if they have I am surprised these points were not raise with you. Without having a intimate knowledge of the premises I cannot be definitive but I am sure these points will be raised when visited by the BC/AI if not discussed at planning stage. 

Thanks Tom.  Really appreciate that.  Yes plans are passed - the building control guy and builder have it all in hand, but I am just micro-managing and working on 'door budget' whilst we have had a week off build work - so no-one to bounce my questions off!  All I knew was that we needed to replace our existing doors with fire doors everywhere - but wanted to know if 'everywhere' meant 'everywhere'!  That's all clear now, so thank you - appreciate your time.