Installing fire detection gear in Commercial office

Guest Richard Collins

Guest Richard Collins

Hi, I've bought an office - two floors approx 1700sqft overall. At the moment it has two large rooms and one smaller one, plus staircase and 2 small toilets.

I have tenants going in but they intend to install partitioning etc and rework the internals.

I gather that they are the Responsible person as regards maintaining fire systems, extinguishers etc as there are no communal areas.

I'm confused about fire detection equipment however and have read conflicting information. I don't see how we can install a system and assess risk if we don't know how they are going to lay out the offices, how many people will be in there etc.

My original intention was to install mains linked smoke alarms in each room, and then legislate in the lease for them to undertake to assess risk dependent on their use and update as required. But a Fire alarm company has come in and told me I need to install a fire panel and various detectors, manual panels etc at a cost of over £3000.

I'd be grateful for any advice as to whether mains linked will suffice and then my approach above re: lease is OK.