FRA in Communal Areas

Guest Milo

Guest Milo

I own a flat in a Victorian house converted into 3 flats which share a communal hallway , and a basement flat which has its own, separate entrance .

2 flats are owner occupied ( including mine) and 2 are let out to tenants . We all share the freehold, and  all the owners (4) are directors of the management company we set up to manage the freehold.

I understood that we need a FRA for communal areas . Can we nominate the 4 directors to be ' responsible people' on the FRA , to have shared responsibility, or us there a limit to the number of 'responsible people' who can be nominated?   Also, does the owner of the basement flat have a legal responsibility for the obligations of the FRA and costs involved in  implementing them, or would they be exempt as they do not share the communal area? 

You are all Responsible Persons and are required to jointly to implement The Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 which includes conducting a FRA. You do not have to nominate RP the FSO does this (art 3) and there is more to the order than just conducting a FRA.

The owner of the basement flat does have a legal responsibility but calculating the costs of implementing the FSO would be up to the management company.