Fire risk assessment when selling flat - only external communal areas

Guest Mrs K-P

Guest Mrs K-P

Hi there

I am in the process of selling my leasehold flat (Victorian conversion). It is managed by an agent for the freeholder. 

The buyers solicitor has asked for a fire risk and asbestos assessment as there are communal areas, but the only communal area is the front yard. The two flats have separate front doors, there are no shared internal parts. Are these assessments required if there are no internal common parts?

I can't find much information about this particular scenario!

Thank you

Mrs K-P

I cannot speak for the asbestos assessment, but the fire risk assessment is the responsibility of the Responsible Person, who will be the owner/agent. It is unlikely one would have been carried out in this situation, providing the front doors lead directly to the public thoroughfare, with no obstructions.

The problem is that the guidance just says " the common areas of flats and maisonettes " and doesn't differentiate between internal or external but if you apply common sense it would only apply when your actions are likely to jeopardize the safety of other people.

Check out The Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 and   https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/422192/9281_Sleeping_Accomodation_v2.pdf