Jump to content

Fire risk assessment when selling flat - only external communal areas

Guest Mrs K-P

Recommended Posts

Guest Mrs K-P

Hi there

I am in the process of selling my leasehold flat (Victorian conversion). It is managed by an agent for the freeholder. 

The buyers solicitor has asked for a fire risk and asbestos assessment as there are communal areas, but the only communal area is the front yard. The two flats have separate front doors, there are no shared internal parts. Are these assessments required if there are no internal common parts?

I can't find much information about this particular scenario!

Thank you

Mrs K-P

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I cannot speak for the asbestos assessment, but the fire risk assessment is the responsibility of the Responsible Person, who will be the owner/agent. It is unlikely one would have been carried out in this situation, providing the front doors lead directly to the public thoroughfare, with no obstructions.

The problem is that the guidance just says " the common areas of flats and maisonettes " and doesn't differentiate between internal or external but if you apply common sense it would only apply when your actions are likely to jeopardize the safety of other people.

Check out The Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 and   https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/422192/9281_Sleeping_Accomodation_v2.pdf

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...