Bar exit closed

Guest Kevin Osman

Guest Kevin Osman

Hi

This evening, I've been in a small pub to see a band.

The bar area has 3 fire exits in a triangle.  One exiting into the beer garden and the others via the 2 normal entrances.

Tonight, the band were set up in front of the beer garden exit.  There were approx 70 people present, which made the bar feel very full.  One of the other fire exits was locked with a key, leaving in my view just one exit.

I asked for the door to be unlocked.  There was some confusion where they thought I asked for it to be opened.  I repeated no, just unlocked for safety.

They pointed at the door behind the band and said we could go that way in an emergency.

We left, feeling very unsafe.  My question is whether they have officially done anything wrong?

Kind regards

Kev

If you only really had one tenable exit the capacity shouldn't really exceed 60 persons. Also if the third door is signed as a fire exit it shouldn't be key locked even if the occupancy doesn't require it as people may just see the sign, go to it, find it locked and then the risk of crushing and panic increases