Help with emergency exit door.

Guest Shaun

Hi,

I've been nominated to start doing the regular fire tests at my place of work which includes testing all the fire call points and emergency exits.

For the most part the doors are push bar to exit or have the Redlam bolt which i can deal with but 3 of our doors have a weird break glass to emergency exit panel on them with no visible way to actually open the door apart from breaking the glass or having to unscrew it. I've tried searching the internet and not found anything that looks like this, so i'm guessing it's really old.

I've attached a picture and would be very grateful if anyone had any information on it.

Kind regards,

Shaun.

IMG_20180825_080626.jpg

It's very old and similar to a Winchester Bolt and other old fastenings. For most of these the only non destructive way to access, test and service the latch is by unscrewing/disassembly.

Whilst existing locks of this type can be tolerated in a Fire Risk Assessment in certain circumstances replacement with a modern approved fastening is preferable, particularly as it's a less common type of older lock for which spare components and glasses will be hard to find.