Do I need a fire door?

Guest Rebecca

Guest Rebecca

We are putting a mega flo boiler in our downstairs toilet room. The boiler will be a (large) cupboard (with sliding doors) and there is also a washing machine and tumble dryer in this space. There will then be a door into the corridor from the toilet/boiler room space. My question is, does the door into the corridor need to be a fire safety door in this domestic semi detached house?  Thanks

Fitting a new gas boiler is subject to the Building Regulations and you have to have a compliance certificate when it is installed. Unfortunately I do not know which approved documents are use and does approved document B fire safety apply to the compliance certificate consequently you should contact the local build control department. They should be able to advise you on any actions you need to take.

I did some further research and it appears to me that the building control compliance certificate only covers gas safety and means of escape is another matter.

Because you have to obtain a compliance certificate then if there was other matters, under their control, I am sure they would have made you aware of it, so it looks like you do not have any legal requirements to do anything but if the corridor you spoke of is a means of escape then at least the door should have some fire resisting properties. I would think you need to study HOUSING – FIRE SAFETY Guidance on fire safety provisions for certain types of existing housing and apply there guidance.

and apply there guidance