rented flat in converted building pre 1990 fire query

mike davis

I own a flat which is rented out. It is on the ground floor of a 3 story building converted to four flats pre 1990. The other converted flats are all owner occupied. My flat has hardwired and linked fire alarms, Its front door opens directly onto an entrance lobby (which also serves one other flat above) which in turn leads to the street. Do we need to have additional detectors and alarms in this lobby and a risk assessment? Thank you

From your description it is hard to visualise the layout of the building but what I can say is the fire detectors in the flats are separate from a fire alarm in the common areas and fire detectors and CO detector are required in your flat which is subject to The Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarm (England) Regulations 2015. It sounds like the entrance lobby is in common with the flat above therefore is subject to The Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 and the Responsible Persons (RP) has a duty to conduct a fire risk assessment.(FRA) If a fire alarm is required the FRA will inform you and the RP,s should act upon the findings. The guidance for building is http://privatehousinginformation.co.uk/site/files/LACORS RRO guide 08.pdf and information on FRA,s can be found in https://www.firesafe.org.uk/fire-risk-assessment/.