Jump to content

David E

Recommended Posts


Referring to your remarks on door mats. We have been supplied by our landlord with fire resistant ones (apparently complying with BS EN 13501), which have been placed inside the front and rear door entries. I notice however, that you state BS 5287 is the compliant for carpet. Why the difference?

We approached the manufacturer, and they will not supply unless we sign up individually to a rental contract agreement, similar to the one taken out by our landlord.

Why can we not use a standard non slip door mat, and treat it with a complying fire retardant spray?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

BS EN 13501 is an EC standard for the Fire classification of construction products and building elements. Classification using test data from reaction to fire tests, which in my opinion is not for door mats and BS 5287 Specification for assessment and labelling of textile floor coverings tested to BS 4790 is the relevant standards. In my opinion fire properties is not that important, what is more important is if it is a tripping hazard and cannot  see any reasons why you cannot use a standard non slip door mat providing it is not a tripping hazard.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...