Handmade Cushion Inserts

Amy

I run an online clothing brand and have a lot of offcuts of 100% cotton. I am trying to find a way to use all of my offcuts and  make wadding from them for cushion inserts but I know there are strict regulations for the filling materials for cushions. 

Does anyone know if it is possible to make my own cushion inserts conform to these regulations or how they can be tested? All the fabric I use will be 100% cotton. 

Many thanks

Amy 

Cotton is not fire retardant unless it is treated, so search the web to see how this can be done. Next samples have to be made and tested by an approved testing station to BS 5852 and if they pass, all cushion inserts made to that specification would meet the requirements of the Furniture-and-furnishings-fire-safety-regulations-19881989-and-1993/. Then all that needs to be done is fit the appropriate label in accordance with the regulations.

• 10 months later...

Please check furniture and furnishings fire safety regulations here https://www.newcastle.gov.uk/business/trading-standards/product-safety/guidance-on-the-safety-of-furniture-and-furnishings

Since cotton is not fire retardant so you need to take advice from some official authority in this case. However, in both the cases labels have to be there.