Fire Alarm system, Residential Premises above Commerical

Guest Thomas

Hi, 

When is a linked alarm system not required between occupancies, especially where sleeping is involved. 

To my knowledge the minimum for systems not to be linked is 60 min fire resistance between occupancies and the residential occupancy has its own escape route completely separate to the commercial premises, is this at all correct? 

When I say the phrase 'linked alarm system'  I mean sounders in the sleeping accommodation linked to detectors in the commercial premises. 

Thanks in advance. 

Regards

I am assuming it is a purpose build block therefore you should study Fire safety in purpose-built blocks of flats which has guidance to answer your question. Your understanding is correct to some degree but you need to check the finer details A6.28 would be a place to start and there is guidance on fire alarms as well.

Further to the above I believe your statement "the phrase 'linked alarm system'  I mean sounders in the sleeping accommodation linked to detectors in the commercial premises" should read "linked to only heat detectors in the commercial premises" you have to consider false alarms, too many would render the system a liability.