Can steel door with glass be a fire door?

Guest KristianR

Guest KristianR

Hello,
I am hoping you could provide some information regarding fire door types. I have a steel frame/glass paneled double door in a place of work and have been told it is a fire door however it is missing any identification as to it's rating, doesn't have a visible seal in the frame and has a visible gap between the two doors. Is it possible that this is a fire door with fire resistant glass or is this more unlikely?
I understand this is perhaps an odd request but my research into fire door regulations hasn't provided any solid answer.
Many thanks
Kristian

Many years ago I was involved in double metal doors, fully glazed, with the intumescent seals concealed under phosphore bronze lippings, that met a two hour fire resistant standard. I think your door could be a fire door you need to check out the manufacturer.

Check out https://www.iqglassuk.com/products/steel-framed-fire-rated-doors/s24176/ they are possible.

Fire resisting glass products have been available for many years but as with all fire and smoke compartmentation its about correct installation of the correct system so I would advise consulting a fire resistant glass expert. There's useful info on fire resisting glazing in the document  'A Guide to Best Practice in the Specification and Use of Fire-Resistant Glazed Systems' at  http://www.ggf.org.uk/publication/FRGbest