Fire exit into garden

Guest Korka

Hi, 

I have been to a pub today with accommodation above.  The pub only has one door which opens out to the street.  There is a second door which discharges into a garden, where no further egress can be made.

Currently, occupants of the pub, the function room (on the first floor) and the accommodation on the 1st and 2nd floor can only escape and make their way away from the building through the front door in the bar.

The height to the highest floor is approx 7m with the length of the garden being approx 18m.  The previous FRA has suggested that the occupants can escape from the building into this area, as long as the local fire authority are made aware.  Is this right??  The management of fire safety is not the best, therefore I am not too happy with this arrangement.  Am I being too harsh?  This will limit them to only 60 patrons in the building!

It is impossible to give a definitive response to your question with a lot more information, a survey and /or plan but I can say in most situations an enclosed area cannot be used for a means of escape route, it has to lead to a place of ultimate safety and dispersal. 

9 hours ago, Tom Sutton said:

It is impossible to give a definitive response to your question with a lot more information, a survey and /or plan but I can say in most situations an enclosed area cannot be used for a means of escape route, it has to lead to a place of ultimate safety and dispersal. 

Hi Tom, thanks for your reply. 

I am glad you’ve said that, I have stated in the FRA that I am not happy to accept this. The pub has 3 floors and a basement, the licensee states that the exit may be used by patrons on the ground and first floor.

The first floor is a function room which is occasionally used, however, when it is used the main bar is also in use, this would put the number of people inside the building above 60.

I have recommended that they limit the occupancy to 60 due to the lack of exits. The management of Fire safety is poor with none of the recommendations from the previous risk assessor being done. 

Thanks again, I just wanted to make sure I hadn’t missed anything.