asbestos and fire risk survey

Christine

Dear Tom 

I live in a converted Victorian house. It is divided into three flats ground, first and second floors. We all own and have identical leases however I live on the ground floor and am also the freeholder. I live with my husband and two children, the first floor flat is rented to three girls and the second  floor flat had a married couple living in it. The second floor are selling and their lawyers have asked me for a fire risk and asbestos survey. Do I need one of these and how do I go about getting one done. Also who is responsible for paying for this. Am very worried about all this and would appreciate your advice

Thanks

All the freeholders/owners are the Responsible Person as defined by The Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 and have a duty to conduct a fire risk assessment but assuming you do not employ five or more persons then the FRA does not have to be recorded unless you decide to. If you decide not to record the FRA I am not sure what you can give to the solicitors.

You can do the FRA yourselves or employ a fire risk assessor if so check out A Guide to Choosing a Competent Fire Risk Assessor  the guidance for your premises is FIRE SAFETY Guidance on fire safety provisions for certain types of existing housing also https://www.firesafe.org.uk could be useful.

I know nothing about asbestos surveys I would suggest you surf the web for information on this subject.