Jump to content

Fire Risk Assessments - More Questions

Guest Callum

Recommended Posts

Guest Callum


I'm having problems with the FRA. I'm buying a flat in a high rise tower (lots of communal areas) and my solicitor is requesting a copy of the FRA. The management company is not providing it for reasons unknown. 

I understand that the legislation doesn't require the FRA to be formally written down but I know the management company has one because the London Fire Brigade conducted a fire audit on this building in the last 12 months which involved reviewing the FRA hence a hard copy must have been produced. 

My first question is: why is my solicitor requesting a copy of the FRA when it is not necessarily a written document? Shouldn't they be content with the fact that one has been completed and it raise no issues?

Secondly, the legislation states that a FRA needs to be recorded when:

A. There are five or more employees;

B. a licence under an enactment is in force in relation to the premises; or

C. an alterations notice requiring this is in force in relation to the premises.

What does point B mean? The flat I'm buying has a rental licence (required by Newham Council):


Is this enough to require the FRA to be documented?

Many thanks,


Link to comment
Share on other sites

In my opinion (barrack room lawyer) which should be checked out with a lawyer specialising in fire safety law, like http://www.safetylawyers.co.uk/fire-safety/  I believe you are correct, legislation doesn't require the FRA to be recorded (formally written down), but the London Fire Brigade, who conducted a fire audit on the building doesn't need a hard copy to conduct a fire audit.

The whole building including the flats are subject to the Housing Act and the common areas are subject to the The Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 (RR(FS)O).

A licence under an enactment, is in force, in relation to the premises, would usually apply when a premises requires a licence to operate then they must record their FRA but you do not require an FRA for the flat. rental licence is a licence under an enactment (Housing Act), but does the licence cover not only the flat but does it include the common areas? 

However as I am aware the Responsible Person does not have to share it with anybody other than the Enforcing Authority therefore it would be pyrrhic victory anyway because you could not force him/her to share it.

I think this is a job for the legal beavers and like you I cannot understand why conveyancing solicitors cannot accept an undertaking from the RP that the common areas meet the RR(FS)O in full.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...