Jump to content

Fuse boards in communal area

Guest Vin

Recommended Posts

Hi Tom

Could you please tell me the requirements for testing of fuse boards in the communal areas of a converted two storey house(two flats). I am in a stalemate as I say they need a 5 yearly condition report and the landlord is arguing that the boards serve the electrics in the flats only, he cannot test them because they do not belong to him, it is there responsibility and it has never been mention in any report he has read in all his years. Could you throw some light on this please.

Many thanks 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If it's part of a domestic electrical installation then it would be the householders responsibility with a 10 year recommended test interval. But in rental accommodation the landlord retains responsibility, the recommended interval drops to 5 years and if they fail to keep the installation in good order they commit an offence and enforcement action can be implemented by the local Council.

An installation for common areas is the landlords responsibility with a 5 year interval.

If you are concerned you should contact your local Environmental Health Department: https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/repairs/how_to_complain_about_an_unsafe_home

Useful info source: https://www.rla.org.uk/landlord/guides/responsibilities/electrical_inspections.shtml

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...