Jump to content

Shared Building

Guest Rick

Recommended Posts


I help manage a charity shop which also has accommodation above it. The flat above the shop has its own entrance and cannot be accessed from he shop at all. We had a fire on our road recently and it worried me as If we ever had a fire in our shop, how would the people above know?

We have a fire alarm system in the shop, but should we link this in to the apartment above also?

Any help or advice would be most welcomed

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It depends on the separation between your shop and the apartment above, if it achieves 60 minutes or more, then a link to the apartment is not necessary if it is less than 60 minutes then a link should be fitted to warn the tenant above. 

If you wish to err on the side of caution you could install a sounder in the flat, with a means of silencing the sounder located in the flat without affecting the remainder of the system the problem is getting access to the sounder for maintenance. I would also inform the occupier of the flat they should install a BS 5839 part 6 system depending on the layout of the flat.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...