Jump to content

Fire risk assessment on leasehold flat

Guest Karen

Recommended Posts

Guest Karen


I am selling my flat where I have the leasehold, however I do also own the freehold for my flat and the one above in a converted Victirian house. We have a small communal area of approx 2m squared in the entrance. 

The buyers solicitors have requested as the landlord and freeholder, that I must supply a risk assessment to comply with the fire safety order for the whole of the building, both flats and communal area. The second is owned by someone else and rented out. Can you advise what I need to be doing please. Thanks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As owner (freeholder) the law requires him/her to conduct a FRA for all the common areas and the size of the common area is immaterial, but if they do not employ 5 or more persons, then the FRA does not have to be recorded.

The owner (freeholder) may have conducted a FRA but it may not have been recorded, what does the solicitor want, verbal response to the prescribed information? You could ask the owner for a copy of the FRA if he/she has recorded it but the solicitor needs to understand the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...