Upgrading Ei151

Guest BurningBridges

Guest BurningBridges

I've got a house that has two Ei151 smoke alarms wired in. They are expiring now and I'd like to replace them. I can see that the Ei156 might be a good option because it looks like it would fit on the same base with the same wiring. However, I would really rather have the newer model Ei140 series. How difficult is it to swap over to the new model? I assume just screw in a new bracket and the wiring will be the same, probably using the same connector?

• 8 months later...

Please note that the Ei151TL ionisation alarm is now discontinued and customers need to consider their options.

The Ei140 and Ei160 series can be fitted in place of an Ei150 series alarm. Different alarms from the Ei150/Ei140/Ei160 series will gracefully communicate with each other on the old existing wiring. Even the new Ei160e series will communicate with the older series.

There is even a specific Easichange kit to allow the conversion from Ei150 to Ei160 series.

Ei151/Ei150

Ei154

Ei156

You need to keep in mind, though, that the old Ei150 series connector plug will have to be removed and that the footprint of the Ei140 and Ei160s is circular rather than rectangular, so a bit of repainting of the ceiling might be necessary. The Easichange kits mentioned here contain an masking plate to cover the ceiling and hide any blemishes.

Harry

• 1 year later...
Guest Nathan.

It's the Ei151 model and it has 4 wires. It has a white, blue and brown as expected. It also has another blue wire that I believe is the battery charger cable for the old model and the replacement doesn't require the extra wire.

• 1 year later...
Guest Nigel

does this mean once you have cut the connector off of my old EI151 smoke detector i connect  both the blue wires (i.e existing neutral wire & the blue battery wire) into the neutral connection point in my EI 160 replacement kit smoke detectors ?

• 1 year later...

I am going to replace 2 EI 150 smoke alarms with easychange ones .As above the old one  has 4 wires  a spare blue battery wire ..The new one only 3 wires so the 2 blues neutral and spare battery wire can both be joined together or isolate the battery wire in piece of terminal block.

Thanks in advance

• 2 years later...

Having just carried out a long overdue upgrade of two old Ei151s to Ei3016s  on the two alarms in our house,  I can confirm that the two blue neutral wires on our original installations were joined in the same choc-block terminal anyway at the other end from the old unit's plug.