Protected staircase

Guest AndyMil

Hi I was wondering if you could give me advice on protected staircases.
I am opening a coffee shop in London and have Toilets and a storeroom in the basement. The ground floor holds 50 people with 2 gent and 2 ladies toilets being located in the basement.

I am constructing a staircase to the ground floor. The staircase will be the only means of escape. I am trying to find information about whether the staircase can be made out of impregnated timber to a Class 1 standard or if it would have to have a concrete construction. The width of the staircase will be 1.3 meters and have a run of 18 steps. With 2, quarter turns along the run.

Any help on this would be much appreciated as I hav
e spoken to lots of people and keep getting different answers.

Many Thanks

Assuming the travel distances are such and you only require one staircase you will require 60 minutes separation between the basement and the ground floor so you need to build a 60 min staircase enclosure.

It could be studding with two layers of plaster board, skimmed or a 100mm block wall with a FD60 fire door be fitted at basement level or FD30 at basement level and a FD30 ground floor level depending on required design. There could be more work at ground floor level depending on the location of staircase to upper floors.

The staircase could be a standard timber staircase and would not be required to be treated.

Check out vol 2 of Approved Document Part B Fire Safety.

Edited by Tom Sutton