Marking on fire door hinges

Guest AdrianLa

Guest AdrianLa

Hi

We have 20 doors in a converted barn (converted in 1994) the building is used a community centre. The door hinges do not have the British Standard stamped on it 'BS EN 1935: 2002: Building Hardware Single Axis Hinges' as the hinges were installed before 2002. Do I need to change the hinges to comply?

Hinges that meet BS EN 1935: 2002 will not be stamped BS EN 1935: 2002 but will carry the CE mark with a number indicating the hinge designation and there may be more information on the documentation accompanying the hinges. Providing you have three substancial hinges and they are made of steel, then they are most probably satisfactory until you rehang any fire doors.

• 1 year later...
Guest MatthewH

Hello

I am looking for some guidance as to whether or not it is a legal requirement to fire retardant door hinges to new fire doors and also to existing fire doors that require repairs or up grading.
I would appreciate any assistance as we cannot seem to find clarification anywhere.

There is no legal requirement but under the regulations you are considered to be a competent person and if any fire doors you fitted or ungraded, failed, you are responsible. You may have to convince a court if the fire doors were not up to the required standards are acceptable. I would consider this very difficult much easier to ensure they meet the necessary standards which includes the hinges. 

• 3 years later...

Hi Tom, 

Can you please advise me when the CE mark became mandatory under BS EN 1935: 2002. I have seen this piece of information which states that the CE markings were not required until July 2013 which means that fire hinges didn't need to have markings prior to this date, but not sure if you have any further legislation which supports this. 

thanks 

• 2 weeks later...