Evacuation of disabled hotel guests

Guest AlexLis

Guest AlexLis

I am the fire Marshall at the hotel where I work, and whilst implementing some fire training today a member of staff raised a question that I was unable to answer. What are the responsibilities of members of staff with regards to the evacuation of disabled guests. Any advice on this topic would be greatly appreciated.

Article 11 of The Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 says “The responsible person must make and give effect to such arrangements as are appropriate, having regard to the size of his undertaking and the nature of its activities, for the effective planning, organisation, control, monitoring and review of the preventive and protective measures”. This should be a recorded document if you employ 5 or more persons.

This is the fire strategy for the premises and should include the fire procedure for disable persons known as a Personal Emergency Evacuation Plan (PEEP) therefore you should have a PEEP for the all the disabled guests.

Check out http://www.firesafe.org.uk/fire-emergency-evacuation-plan-or-fire-procedure/ for some information.